Broke my phone pretty badly...

General off-topic, anything goes discussions.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Broke my phone pretty badly...

Post by Skillz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:48 pm

My Pixel 3 XL otter box case started malfunctioning on me recently. The power/everything button stopped working because the rubber extender thing on the case was worn out. So I had to take the case off in order to use the phone as that button is pretty important. Well, not even 2 days of having the case off I dropped the phone. It was then, I realized the rear of the phone was just as fragile as the front. So, rear - shattered. Great. No biggie. New case will cover that up and all will be well. Not even 24H later. Dropped phone, again, cracked the top of the front screen. Shoot!

So now both the front and rear is cracked. The cracks are so bad, literal chunks of them are falling off exposing the insides. :lol: :x The phone is a good phone, and I don't want to spend the money on a new, flagship phone so I started looking around for used Pixel 3 XL phones to replace my Pixel 3 XL phone.

That's when I discovered www.backmarket.com anyone use this or heard of this site before? Seems sketch, but I bought a used black 128GB Pixel 3 XL phone for $350. Should be here Monday. Let's hope she's in as good as condition as they claim.

crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Re: Broke my phone pretty badly...

Post by crashtech » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:33 pm

Never heard of them but I feel for you. I got a new phone a few weeks back and it arrived without the case that I ordered, but I activated it and used it anyway. Within two days the slim slippery sucker had fallen out of my pocket and I ran it over with a creeper. Broke the screen, first time for me. From now on, I won't use a phone without a case.

Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Anyone ever sold a used damaged phone?

Seems I can get $70 for my broken/damaged Pixel 3 XL.

https://www.sellcell.com/phones/google-pixel-3-xl/

Claims for a Verizon, 64GB, Pixel 3XL with damaged screen but still fully functional phone for $70 and they'll pay for shipping.

Seems like a no-brainer.

Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:09 pm

Skillz wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 pm
Anyone ever sold a used damaged phone?

Seems I can get $70 for my broken/damaged Pixel 3 XL.

https://www.sellcell.com/phones/google-pixel-3-xl/

Claims for a Verizon, 64GB, Pixel 3XL with damaged screen but still fully functional phone for $70 and they'll pay for shipping.

Seems like a no-brainer.
I have no experience with selling a broken phone, but that sounds like a fair deal. I think you could get slightly more on eBay, but for a no hassle option to send it in with them paying shipping it seems pretty solid.

Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Got the Pixel 3 XL in from BackMarket.com earlier today. Seems to be pretty legit.

1. I ordered the Google Pixel 3 XL 128GB - black model, but got the 64GB model instead. Reached out to them and they got back with me quickly, but the follow up has taken a while.
Hello, We apologize for the inconvenience. We can offer a partial refund for the difference of GB storage if you wish to keep the device. Please let us know how you would like to proceed. Thank you
I emailed them back saying I would like to know how much the partial refund will be. I can make a new order for the 64GB model on their site for $150 less than what I paid for the 128GB model. So if the partial refund is less than $150 then I will attempt to send it back for a 100% refund and order the 64GB model.

The phone is in excellent shape otherwise. I didn't notice any scratches or anything signs of excessive use. Phone was fully charged when I got it so I begin transferring everything off my old Pixel 3 XL onto the new one. Really easy process, by the way. It wasn't until I entered the IMIE number on the phone into my Verizon account to get it activated that I realized it was a 64GB model. :x So the phone was accepted by Verizon.

I kind of want the 128GB model, but if they refund at least $150 I'll keep the 64GB model.

Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:28 pm

These clowns wanna refund me $70. I denied the offer and told them I'll send the whole thing back for a full refund. Waiting for a response.

Added in 2 hours 3 minutes 39 seconds:
They sent me a shipping label. Dropped it off at the post office earlier. Let's hope this refund doesn't take too long.

crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:22 pm

I'm sure they run into plenty of people who are dumb or don't want the hassle of swapping. I guess I can't blame them for trying to max out profits, but one has to wonder if it's a kind of racket where they send whatever is in stock even if it's wrong and try to fix it later.

Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:17 pm

From what I gather the web site backmarket.com doesn't actually sell anything. They're just a central hub for others to sell their hardware.