[TN-Grid] World Gene Expansion Challenge 2021

News and Information related to Distributed Computing
BOINC_News
Reactions:

[TN-Grid] World Gene Expansion Challenge 2021

Post by BOINC_News »

The volunteers belonging to the BOINC.Italy group have organized the usual (end of winter) challenge on this project: Start: 8th March 2021 12:00 UTC, End : 15th March 2021 12:00 UTC.

Please follow this thread for further info https://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/forum_thread.php?id=307

Source: http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/forum_thread.php?id=308
biodoc
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Re: [TN-Grid] World Gene Expansion Challenge 2021

Post by biodoc »

Is there any interest here for TAAT joining this challenge?
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

It overlaps slightly with the Sierpinski Birthday Challenge, I think. I'd want to learn about whether enough work will be available, and what the task deadlines are. But I am tentatively in if the TeAm want to join.

Edit: Looks like 5 day task deadlines, so that would be when to start "bunkering," or at least attempting to ensure a decent supply.
OrangeKid
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by OrangeKid »

I was wondering the same. I would do it till the PG challenge starts.
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

crashtech wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:33 pm Looks like 5 day task deadlines, so that would be when to start "bunkering,"
Indeed, March 3, 12:00 UTC was the start of the bunkering period (for some).
https://munin.kiska.pw/munin/Munin-Node ... ngrid.html

TN-Grid's status is the same as during the past years:
TN-Grid always has material to work through, but its workunit generator has a rather limited pace. During competitions, demand for work may easily exceed the speed at which WUs are generated.

TN-Grids limit on tasks in progress is 512 per host (or perhaps 8 per active logical CPUs in case of less than 64 CPUs, I haven't checked the latter).

If you want the TeAm to participate, you'll need to ask TAC = @Ken_g6 (probably over at the other forum) to add the team to the boincstats challenge.
https://www.boincstats.com/stats/challe ... /chat/1089
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

Right now it is somewhat difficult to receive tasks.

I was heating the home with TN-Grid lately. I'll tweak my setup now and check back tomorrow whether or not I will have to switch to some other project.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

StefanR5R wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:34 pm Right now it is somewhat difficult to receive tasks.

I was heating the home with TN-Grid lately. I'll tweak my setup now and check back tomorrow whether or not I will have to switch to some other project.
This would indicate that we may not need the entire TeAm to participate. If you wish to continue, should any of us join?
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

The challenge is now running since 9 hours, and "tasks ready to send" continues to be 0 or near 0 all the time.

However, my comparably large computers are nevertheless able to maintain my desired ~10 hours deep work buffer, with merely a single client instance per computer, but of course with a shell script which watches over the number of tasks in progress. In other words, so far it looks like I can keep TN-Grid for heating purposes without going through hoops (which would be: multiple client instances for higher request rate per physical computer).

My first alternative choice would have been SiDock, which seems to have improved WRT continuous work availability lately. I haven't checked yet whether SiDock's old low limit of tasks in progress per host is still in place, which would require me to engage several client instances per host.

crashtech wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:26 pm This would indicate that we may not need the entire TeAm to participate. If you wish to continue, should any of us join?
As far as the heating of my home is concerned, that's something I have to manage on my own. :-)

If anybody of the TeAm wishes that the TeAm takes part in the current challenge, there is still time to get in touch with @Ken_g6 to make it so; late entrants are possible.

My own opinion on this is currently the same as earlier: The total throughput during this challenge is obviously capped by the project server's work generation throughput, therefore the contest does not make a lot of sense to me. Yet since it is not too much trouble for me to keep working at TN-Grid like I did before the challenge, I will stick with TN-Grid regardless of the challenge.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

I for one will leave TN-Grid in your capable hands, @StefanR5R, and see about running it at a later time when demand for work is lower.