To Hell in a hand basket

General off-topic, anything goes discussions.
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

To Hell in a hand basket

Post by Howdy »

Well my daily machine has went to hell in a hand basket overnight. System was pretty much unresponsive this morning, FF wouldn't load, BOINC appeared frozen but GPU fans were running and compensating for change in temps. I suspended BOINC, closed it and hit restart (Win10 machine) Restart page comes up and just does its windows circle, after 10 minutes of this I hard shut down.
Power up, D6 error- cannot find video device, boots in to log in screen slowwwwwwwwwly, log in, check misc items, hit restart does same as above for 10 mins.
Hard shut down, power off PSU, hold power switch, boot up, HOORAY!!! running good..............or so I thought. Time to check crunching sites.......WTF every password is gone. FFS spend the next few hours resetting passwords. It's still not running right, but it is running. Crunching BOINC and speed wise everything seems normal.
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Re: To Hell in a hand basket

Post by StefanR5R »

Could the system have been out of memory when you encountered it unresponsive in the morning?
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Time to upgrade to a 3950x. :lol:

Hope you get it sorted out though.
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

StefanR5R wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:57 am Could the system have been out of memory when you encountered it unresponsive in the morning?
I wouldn't think so, It had 64gb but I had to remove a bad stick (weeks ago) so it's at 56gb now. I was running Amicable and Ibercivis with only 50% threads in preferences.(6850k) IIRC it was only using 42% of the memory running like this. Thinking I possibly had another bad stick I ran mem test for ~1hr and had no faults detected. I know not long enough- but wanted to get back in the race and pay the bills. Also seeing that it boots abnormal, longer than normal with extra beeps coming from MOBO when booting. I scanned the SSD (no errors either) and trimmed it to see if that would help. Nothing changed after all of that. What truly has me baffled is the long restart or plain old shut down times. Restart does the win circle jerk forever still, shut down starts out normal and then the monitor shuts off. Then after say 30-45 seconds the machine finally shuts off.

@Skillz That is what I'm working up to eventually, just not in the cards right now. :D
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

How old is that PSU?
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

Skillz wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:22 am How old is that PSU?
6 years if I looked up the correct one.
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 Power Supply
Purchase Date: 11/11/2014

EDIT: I do have a BNIB 850 that will work in this machine. I had the same thoughts about the PSU, but that shouldn't have any affect on restart or shut down times. ( I wouldn't believe anyway)
10esseetony
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by 10esseetony »

Try taking the whole thing outside and pressure washing it with bleach additive, could have caught corona virus.
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

10esseetony wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:46 am Try taking the whole thing outside and pressure washing it with bleach additive, could have caught corona virus.
I was thinking more in the lines of a big hammer. :x

Although I might have solved it hopefully. Uninstalled and reinstalled GPUS drivers after a reboot with ckdisc (or whatever the cmd is) it found and repaired something, then I was running 480x480. Seems normal now I guess................I'm tired of rebooting now, it's running and crunching. I'll leave it alone for now.
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

Well, I have determined that this machine just does not like Ibercivis. I can run any other BOINC project without an issue. The moment I try to run Ibercivis, everything goes to hell in a hand basket. I even tried 1 task, no dice.
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

Well this machine is just plain old jacked! I have done everything I can possibly think of except for reformatting the HD. Which is most likely the cure for my issue I do believe. There seems to be a conflict with something program wise and I cannot figure it out. I have went back to the basics on this thing and have come to the conclusion that I just need to suck it up and reformat the damn thing.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Well, that's better than what just happened to me. 12C/24T Xeon system with a 1070ti just went tits up. No response at all, no beeps, nothing. Stripped to a minimal config with the onboard VGA, still nothing. She's dead, Jim.
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

crashtech wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 am Well, that's better than what just happened to me. 12C/24T Xeon system with a 1070ti just went tits up. No response at all, no beeps, nothing. Stripped to a minimal config with the onboard VGA, still nothing. She's dead, Jim.
Sorry to hear :cry:
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

I'm not that sad if it's the motherboard, because I got it cheap and it was just a stopgap with its weird form factor. Today I finally found a reasonably priced dual CPU board for it so I can put it back into the dual CPU system it came out of that had one of the sockets go bad in. It's just inconvenient for it to happen in the middle of a contest!
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

crashtech wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 pm It's just inconvenient for it to happen in the middle of a contest!
In my case that is the way it always goes!!
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

Howdy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 pm
crashtech wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 pm It's just inconvenient for it to happen in the middle of a contest!
Then again, mine are usually self inflicted issues.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Howdy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 pm
Howdy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 pm
Then again, mine are usually self inflicted issues.
Yeah, well, I think the socket going bad in the original dual CPU rig might have been self-inflicted. I was doing some GPU swaps on it and forgot to turn the power off for one of them. I mean, the PC was off, but the board was still energized. Who knew that could kill a CPU socket!? :lol:
Howdy
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Howdy »

Hmmm I better change my forgetful ways then. I have done that several times and realize after the fact.............luckily no issues!!
10esseetony
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by 10esseetony »

I always power down, flip the switch on the PSU, unplug the PSU, hit the power button a few times, wait one minute, and then swap cards. Except for those times when I just power down. :roll: