Greetings

So who are you? :)
Skivelitis2
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Greetings

Post by Skivelitis2 »

I am the Great Cornholio...no wait, that's someone else. Might have to consider a username change though. Long time BOINCer looking to run with a great group of guys/gals and help slay the competition. Started back in 2008 or so and took a couple years off before returning about 5 years back. I recognize many of your names from posts across the various projects. Lots of knowledge and crunching power here for sure. I was particularly attracted by the active forums, especially during challenge times. Never contributed to FAH before so as not to detract from BOINC, but who knows, that could change as well. I'll take a little time to quietly settle in and get the lay of the land and familiarize myself with the main site (and this one). If my posts seem a little rambling, it's because I am a very slow, two finger, hunt-and-peck typist and thankfully my brain still outpaces my fingers. Spent the better of the day fighting Windows Firewall trying to finally set up BoincTasks. Think I'll save the battle with Linux for tomorrow, gotta get my new, daily PUBG fix in. And no, I wouldn't even CONSIDER using using crunchers for that, playing on an XBOX One :D
PPS-DIV about 10 days away! Lets get 'em!
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Re: Greetings

Post by crashtech »

Greetings, and welcome to our humble abode! Really glad you've decided to join us! I am a hunt and pecker as well. Wish I had known how valuable being able to type would be when I was younger! I think you will find plenty of excellent and friendly help with your Linux-fu her if you so desire, most of us run it now because of its performance advantage and how it won't reboot and do a massive update on you in the middle of a race.
Skivelitis2
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Skivelitis2 »

I hear ya. I've had updates blocked on my Windows boxes for a long time now..Think I'm still on version 1804 or 1809. Most of my crunching power is on Windows. Just have a few old laptops and one desktop with an i3-2120 and an aging GTX 950 in it that needs to go on the shelf as an emergency backup. Considered switching a few hosts over to Linux to balance things out a bit, but I've always been somewhat held back by the machine just mentioned. How do I put this...although it never reserves a CPU core for the GPU on projects that don't require it like Einstein for example (can still run 4 CPU tasks with HT on albeit likely slower), I've noticed that regardless of project the CPU/GPU times are almost equal as if it is. Don't know if this is just old hardware, OS/ driver related or what. This is probably not the place for a technical discussion or help session (obviously new here) but I'll try to remember to ask for help on the main site in the next few days and provide more specific details.
Fardringle
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Fardringle »

Welcome, Great Cornholio! :D

hehehehehe...he said...crunch! :D
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Welcome to the forums!
biodoc
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by biodoc »

Welcome! :)
Skivelitis2
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Skivelitis2 »

crashtech wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:10 pm most of us run it now because of its performance advantage
Well, you were right! Don't know what circumstance I was remembering regarding the GPUs, but I'm seeing about a 15-30% on Collatz work depending on card. Hope to see the same or close on the CPUs.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Skivelitis2 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:16 pm
crashtech wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:10 pm most of us run it now because of its performance advantage
Well, you were right! Don't know what circumstance I was remembering regarding the GPUs, but I'm seeing about a 15-30% on Collatz work depending on card. Hope to see the same or close on the CPUs.
The performance advantage varies by project, but I can't think of any instance where there is a performance regression, unless you count Gerasim, which doesn't work with Linux. :lol:
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

From what I remember, the now long submerged Acoustics@home had better performance under Windows than under Linux. They linked the Windows build against a heavily optimized non-free math library, while the Linux build had to make do with a version which lacked all the optimizations.