Installing AMD drivers on Linux

General off-topic, anything goes discussions.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Installing AMD drivers on Linux

Post by Skillz »

Any of you done this yet?

Running Debian 10, wanting to get one of my cold 280X GPUs up and running on my new EPYC while I wait for the ribbon cables to be delivered. Figured I could at least run the 280X on it for a little while before swapping it out with the Nvidia cards.

Anyone know of a good tutorial or have steps they follow for getting AMD drivers on Linux?
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Re: Installing AMD drivers on Linux

Post by crashtech »

I've tried it a couple times and failed. So I will be watching this thread.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

crashtech wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:59 pm I've tried it a couple times and failed. So I will be watching this thread.
Same.

I'm pretty sure @biodoc had posted about getting the AMD drivers working in Linux at one point. I gave up with it with the Firepros a couple years ago and just switched to Windows, but I would have preferred Linux. Same with a 7950 I was running at the time.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

@Icecold I think he did it with a Radeon VII, not anything older iirc.
biodoc
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by biodoc »

Yes, my only experience is with the Radeon VII. I believe the last AMD proprietary driver for the 280X was released in 2015 (Crimson Edition 15.12). This driver supported Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, 14.04.2. I doubt this driver will install on Debian 10.

There is this post by Gary Roberts at Einstein which is very interesting. There's also this thread at Einstein which I found useful.

I've got the Radeon VII on Mint 20.3.

I use the amdgpu-pro-20.30 driver (no longer available for download as of today; It was available 2 months back). I like this driver version because it allows --no-dkms option for installation. I extract the driver download file and cd into the directory and run the following command:

sudo ./amdgpu-install -y --opencl=pal --no-dkms

reboot and that's it.

I assuming that the older GPUs require --opencl=legacy.

Another option to the no-dkms install is:

sudo ./amdgpu-install -y --opencl=pal,legacy --headless (installs PAL and legacy opencl support)

or

sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=pal,legacy --headless

The Radeon VII needs the PAL opencl drivers to run tasks from Milkyway. More recent driver versions from AMD include legacy and rocr (rocm) opencl support but pal support has been dropped. Rocm opencl works on einstein but not MilkyWay.
biodoc
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by biodoc »

How to Install the Latest AMD Drivers on Debian 10 Buster

I noticed this article recommends installing mesa-opencl-icd for opencl support. Mesa opencl will not work with boinc projects so you will still need the opencl support files from AMDGPU drivers listed above.