KVM

General off-topic, anything goes discussions.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

KVM

Post by Skillz »

Does anyone here use a KVM?

Looking to get a 4-port KVM for backup daily drivers. These computers will be running BOINC, but I'll also be using them for other various tasks to compliment my primary rig.

Now that I have a new "L" shaped desk, I can accomodate multiple monitors and mouse/keyboard setups. On the left I intend to have the primary gaming rig setup, but on the right I want to connect 3 computers to the same monitor/keyboard/mouse. Monitor will be 1080P.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Re: KVM

Post by Icecold »

Are you good with using VGA for the monitor or it needs to be HDMI/displayport/etc.? That ones that are VGA are pretty inexpensive. I've used the Iogear and Rosewill inexpensive VGA KVM's before and they work well enough. Every KVM I've used though has been at least somewhat occasionally flaky. I haven't used any KVM other than the VGA ones.

I've been interested in Pi KVM for awhile, but haven't set one up yet. It uses a raspberry pi to act as an IP KVM over the network for a PC instead of using an actual KVM switch - https://www.pishop.us/product/pikvm-v3- ... erry-pi-4/ It sounds like with how your PC's are physically arranged though a traditional KVM would be sufficient.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Yes, they will need to support HDMI or Display Port as they'll be 1080P and on modern GPUs that do not have VGA (without an adapter).

I looked around and they seem to be around $80 to $150 for a 4-port KVM. I just don't know if the $150 is worth it over the $80 one. It does seems that the more expensive ones tend to support dual monitors per port though, which is cool; but I don't think I'd be using that feature on these systems. My primary rig will have 2 or 3 displays though.
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

I have got a dual-link DVI KVM switch, an ATEN CS1784A. I have no complaints… except that it has got merely 4 ports. :-) I bought it before I got into DC and had been thinking that 4 ports are plenty.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Well majority of my DC rigs I remote into via SSH or AnyDesk. And although I will be running DC projects on these rigs, that wont be their main purpose.

I could easily just use AnyDesk to remote into them, but some of the stuff they do AnyDesk doesn't display properly such as anything with motion like videos and gaming.

So I figure a KVM with a dedicated 1080P display and keyboard/mouse for the three rigs will allow me to use them.