Stuff for sale or trade, hunting for equipment
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Re: Used Nvidia GPU Market

Post by Icecold »

crashtech wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:01 pm
Icecold wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:43 pm
Skillz wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:10 pm I'm trying to win a few of those 1060 "mining only, no video output" cards myself. let me know how well they do. I'm trying to build a rig with 8 of them.
I finally had a chance to get it setup tonight. So far - I'm pretty impressed. I paid $54 including tax and shipping. I have it currently in an Ivy Bridge i5 system running Windows, so not at all an ideal situation and I'm getting 417,000 PPD in Folidng@home. GPU-z shows it using around 70 watts, and it seems to be running very cool. It just uses a single 6 pin power connector so it would be very easy to shove in a spare PC with a low end power supply. I'll try SRBase in the morning and see how it does on that.
Pretty cool! I might have to give these output-less refugees another chance.
If enough people are interested, I think if we wanted to try a group buy and buy like 10 or so of them from the seller we can maybe get the price down a bit. This is the listing - https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-P106-090 ... 2749.l2649 Shipping probably kills that idea though unless we could really get the price down.

I had made an offer before for 4 of them for $25 each and got back "can only go lower if buying large qtys'. The bummer being while the listing shows a location within a 20 minute drive of me in Ohio, they actually shipped from North or South Carolina so I can't do a local pickup.

There are a few on eBay that are the equivalent of a 1080ti.. that are selling for as much as a 1080ti despite not having video outputs. I don't understand that. I really like this 1060 equivalent though as a really low power card just to shove into a spare machine, or an extra pci express slot on an existing machine etc. With how low power it is and cheap there's almost no reason not to toss it in and add a bit more computing power.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Find out where in North Carolina or South Carolina they are. I live in High Point, NC. So if it's not that far from me I can drive and pick them up myself.

I'd be interested in a group buy, but we need to check on shipping first and at what price we can get 10 or more of them each.
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

Downsides of smaller GPUs:
1.) A single GPU computer is easier to cool than a multi GPU computer, due to the space constraints. (Unless you make enough space with PCIe extender cables, for example.)
2.) In Folding@home specifically, one large GPU gives more early return bonus than two or more respectively smaller GPUs.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

Skillz wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:50 am Find out where in North Carolina or South Carolina they are. I live in High Point, NC. So if it's not that far from me I can drive and pick them up myself.

I'd be interested in a group buy, but we need to check on shipping first and at what price we can get 10 or more of them each.
I was just going by the tracking info, but it was shipped from Tabor City, NC. I just looked it up on a map and it's super far from High Point NC. I did a 'make an offer' for 5 @ $30 each a little while ago which is pending, we'll see what happens but I'm guessing they'll decline it.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

StefanR5R wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:02 pm Downsides of smaller GPUs:
1.) A single GPU computer is easier to cool than a multi GPU computer, due to the space constraints. (Unless you make enough space with PCIe extender cables, for example.)
2.) In Folding@home specifically, one large GPU gives more early return bonus than two or more respectively smaller GPUs.
I told myself I would never buy anything again lower end than an RTX 2070 or 1080ti for those specific reasons (and ideally more in the 2080ti/RTX 3070 or up range). The GPU market went crazy for a bit with wild swings in resale value when the new Nvidia GPU's released and I was wanting something new to mess around with so I found this on the cheap and went for it.

This is semi off topic and I haven't really decided yet but I might forego my 'large' hardware in the Folding@home holiday race this year. The most fun I can remember in that race was(had to look it up) all the way back in 2013 when I was running a couple GTX 480's and a GTX 470 which were already fairly old / outdated at the time. The stats from that race seem to have disappeared from that thread, but I remember feeling like I was able to put up pretty decent points considering the hardware I was up against. I may just try to combine as much old hardware as I have around the house(not the GTX 480's even though I still have them :lol: ) and add a couple $30-$40 video cards to the mix and try to compete in the 1-2 million PPD section of that race while leaving my higher end GPU's on BOINC.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

About a 3 hour drive, one way for me.

If the savings are significant (more than $70) then I can drive there, but I don't think we'll save $70 on shipping. Thats just the cost of fuel that it'll cost me to get there. My 1997 Jeep Wrangler isn't the most fuel efficient vehicle on the road. Driving to North Myrtle Beach, SC (same direction) costs me over a full tank to get there. $35 to fill my Jeep up from E usually.

Added in 2 minutes 9 seconds:
test
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

Icecold wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:20 pm I was just going by the tracking info, but it was shipped from Tabor City, NC. I just looked it up on a map and it's super far from High Point NC. I did a 'make an offer' for 5 @ $30 each a little while ago which is pending, we'll see what happens but I'm guessing they'll decline it.
They declined it. Somewhat surprising given it seems like they're sitting on a ton of these cards.

Ran 3 SRBase tasks for an average of 1791 seconds each for 3400 points each. Works out to ~164,000 PPD. Certainly not great but given the power usage not awful. Running a GPUGrid WU now @Skillz I know you wanted stats on all BOINC GPU projects - any suggestions for the next few to run?
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Amicable
GPUGrid
Einstein
Collatz
Primegrid (this one might be tricky because so many different apps with completely different requirements)
Moo! Wrapper (if its even up anymore?)
Numberfields
SRBase

Those are the only current active GPU projects I know of other than Aestroids and Milkyway both of which don't run well on Nvidia hardware anyway.

I plan to run them in x1 slots though. Sohttp://teamanandtech.org/index.php I am assuming you're running it in an 16x slot. Which is fine. I can get just 1, run it in all the projects then compare it to your 16x numbers to see which projects are effected by 16x and 1x.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

I'm really not sure what it would take to get this seller to go any cheaper. I made an offer for 20 cards @ $20 each and instead of a counter offer got back just "can't"
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

They denied 20 cards at $20? Reply back asking what kind of deal you can do then.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

I don't think I would want to deploy a large quantity of them. I need to keep transitioning to more powerful GPUs as I am space and power constrained at this point. Really the interesting unit is the P104-100, at least you get 1070 level performance with it. But those are not as common.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

crashtech wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:29 pm I don't think I would want to deploy a large quantity of them. I need to keep transitioning to more powerful GPUs as I am space and power constrained at this point. Really the interesting unit is the P104-100, at least you get 1070 level performance with it. But those are not as common.
I had an idea at one point of building one or more machines that would only be used during Sprints and the Pentathlon or other challenges. In fact, my S9150's were originally purchased with a rough idea like that in my head. I had one of 2 thought processes:

1. Setup a dual boot Linux/Windows system on a mining rack. Have 1 large power supply(800-1000watts), and then mount a few S9150's, and a few cheapish Nvidia cards to it. The idea being when there's a Milkyway challenge, move the PCI Express risers and power cables to the S9150's and boot into Windows, if it's an Nvidia challenge move the cabling to the Nvidia cards and boot into Linux.

2. Just build 2 separate machines one Nvidia and one AMD. Use older used parts for motherboard, CPU, etc.

I thought at the time it would be great to be able to just kick on a machine out of nowhere and throw up ~2 million points on Milkyway since that is a project a lot of teams are not equipped to put up a lot of points on. As things work out instead I'm sitting here with at least 6 S9150's running full time :lol: so that idea isn't really one I'm thinking of doing any more.

I have all the parts to stuff 3 or 4 of these mining 1060's in a machine other than the proper sized power supply. It probably wouldn't run full time, but depending on PPD/watt (which seems pretty good) maybe it would. Of course in the next few months I will hopefully be able to get an RTX 2070 for ~$200 which might be a better use of funds, but they're nowhere near that price yet. I tend to agree with you though, deploying a bunch of lower end cards generally just adds extra headaches and complexity vs getting a lesser quantity of higher end cards.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

Skillz wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:28 pm They denied 20 cards at $20? Reply back asking what kind of deal you can do then.
I messaged the seller and was told they could only drop the price a dollar or 2. Makes no sense to me when they're supposedly sitting on a stockpile of these cards that are only going to depreciate when the new cards are more available. I'm wondering based on the location of the seller not matching where they shipped from if it's somebody just middle manning them from another website or distributor and that is why the price is so firm.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

well I can say there is nothing in the North Carolina town you said it was shipped from. While I haven't driven through that specific town personally. I have driven that area on the way to the beach many, many times. The North Carolina and South Carolina State lines along that area are very much under developed areas. I can't even get cell phone service along some of those roads around there.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

The seller responded that they had to move to North Carolina for work.

I ran a GPUGrid WU. It took 8,656.49 seconds for 18,968.06 points, so around 189k PPD. Not bad. I'll go back and rerun more WU's of all these projects afterward to get a better average, but right now I'm curious and seeing how the card does. Running Collatz now.

Collatz - 2,749.65 seconds for 37,105.37 points running 1 WU at a time should be around 1,166,000 PPD. It was only running around 90% GPU so it may be worth trying 2 WU's at once.

Moo Wrapper - Average of 738.78 seconds per task at 1536 credit per task should be around 180k PPD.

Primegrid PPS Sieve(the highest PPD Primegrid project) - 908.33 seconds for 3,371.00 PPD should be around 321k PPD.

Einsten - 2020.5 seconds average(but only ran 2 tasks so not a great average) for 3465 credit each should be around 148k PPD.

SRBase - I ran a bunch more tasks, settled in at 144K PPD.