Used Nvidia GPU Market

Stuff for sale or trade, hunting for equipment
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Used Nvidia GPU Market

Post by crashtech »

As more info comes out about the highly disruptive RTX 3000 series release, I've heard that many 2080ti owners are dumping their GPUs, but the information available makes it seem as if they would need to be had for less than $500 to be a good value. They are nowhere near that right now, afaict. It'd be interesting to me to know what you guys think the prices points for the various RTX 2000 series cards should be to compete with the upcoming 3000 series, and whether or not the new cards will even work right away with the DC applications that we want to use them for.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Re: Used Nvidia GPU Market

Post by Icecold »

crashtech wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:03 am As more info comes out about the highly disruptive RTX 3000 series release, I've heard that many 2080ti owners are dumping their GPUs, but the information available makes it seem as if they would need to be had for less than $500 to be a good value. They are nowhere near that right now, afaict. It'd be interesting to me to know what you guys think the prices points for the various RTX 2000 series cards should be to compete with the upcoming 3000 series, and whether or not the new cards will even work right away with the DC applications that we want to use them for.
I'm working under the assumption that it will take some time for the RTX 3000 series cards to work well for distributed computing and am hoping to pick up at least one RTX 2000 series card inexpensively. I'm not sure if that assumption is correct, but I'm pretty sure it took some time for Folding@home and GPUGrid to work on the RTX 2000 series which is what I'm basing that on, and I know it took a long time for the NAVI cards to work properly. My original hope was to get an RTX 2080ti for around $450, but it seems like $550 may be more attainable. It may make more sense for me specifically to get a couple RTX 2070 Supers or something like that if I can them for a good price.
OrangeKid
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by OrangeKid »

I have been looking at the 2080ti prices and was thinking of getting 1 or 2 but I agree that 500ish would be a good price if the prices of the new 3000 are what they say they will be. I have seen nothing actually going for that kind of money.
$700 for a 3080@ 320w seems to be a better investment, so I shall see what I can get. Looks like the performance should be better too. Will all be interesting.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Yeah, I guess we'll see! It sure throws my annual planning for the Winter Folding race into flux. It's still early, though.
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

I think the announced Founders Edition prices will be largely irrelevant and are mostly just for show: Probably, not very many FE cards will be produced, relatively to the overall market. The prices of the AIB partners will be what will count. There are a few listings already, and those prices look good, but let's see how things go once sales actually start.

Another factor for the development of used 20 series prices will be how the independent reviews of the 30 series will turn out, obviously.

Third, there remains the question whether or not Asian* cryptotoken mining farms will consider the 30 series useful for themselves ( * = i.e. the ones which would wheel truckloads of devices right out of the back gates of the factories). I'm not up to date if these farms are fully working with ASICs nowadays.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

StefanR5R wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:50 am Third, there remains the question whether or not Asian* cryptotoken mining farms will consider the 30 series useful for themselves ( * = i.e. the ones which would wheel truckloads of devices right out of the back gates of the factories). I'm not up to date if these farms are fully working with ASICs nowadays.
Ugh, a realistic if dystopian take on the issue... I suppose speculation is as useless as it is irresistible!
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

EVGA B Stock has 2080ti's for $550. That's a better price than I've found on eBay and outside of a handful of cards that sold really quick on other forums, etc. seems to be a really good price especially with the 1 year warranty. I'm debating picking one up but it would still be the most I've ever spent on a video card. https://www.evga.com/Products/ProductLi ... TX+2080+Ti

Add 'associate code' S1UQP0HAKH2GPDI for an extra 5% off.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

dang, I think I might buy a 2080Ti for $550 myself.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

That would indicate that the 3070 will actually sell north of $600? Either that, or the 2080ti is not that great a value at $550...
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

crashtech wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:37 pm That would indicate that the 3070 will actually sell north of $600? Either that, or the 2080ti is not that great a value at $550...
My personal reasoning was I just built a couple more PC's that do not have onboard video and I'm not looking to wait a few months for the new cards to be available. I put a Radeon 7950 in the one PC since it's still useful for Milkyway, but the other PC is a a Ryzen 3900x with an old Radeon 6950 in it for the time being wasting a bunch of power because it needed a video card and it's what I had available. I just ordered a 2080ti at $522.49 + tax from EVGA b stock since it was the best deal I could find, but I'll likely end up getting a 3070 at some point as well.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

Icecold wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:14 pm
crashtech wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:37 pm That would indicate that the 3070 will actually sell north of $600? Either that, or the 2080ti is not that great a value at $550...
My personal reasoning was I just built a couple more PC's that do not have onboard video and I'm not looking to wait a few months for the new cards to be available. I put a Radeon 7950 in the one PC since it's still useful for Milkyway, but the other PC is a a Ryzen 3900x with an old Radeon 6950 in it for the time being wasting a bunch of power because it needed a video card and it's what I had available. I just ordered a 2080ti at $522.49 + tax from EVGA b stock since it was the best deal I could find, but I'll likely end up getting a 3070 at some point as well.
I should have bought more than just the one. I've been trying to ramp up production here and there as I can, and there have been no good video card deals that I've found since then. EVGA B stock has 2080ti's for as low as $700 right now(and then the affiliate code or whatever brings it down a small amount), and that seems to be the current best deal. In the mean time I bought a Zotac 'mining' no video output GTX 1060 on the cheap to at least mess around with which should be here in a few days.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

I'm trying to win a few of those 1060 "mining only, no video output" cards myself. let me know how well they do. I'm trying to build a rig with 8 of them.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

Skillz wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:10 pm I'm trying to win a few of those 1060 "mining only, no video output" cards myself. let me know how well they do. I'm trying to build a rig with 8 of them.
The one I bought on eBay is from somebody that apparently lives a 15 minutes drive away from me(and I live in a not super high populated area) :lol: I made an offer for 4 at a discounted rate, and they replied back that they would only discount them at "larger quantities". I ended up buying 1 at full price to see how they'll do, and then figured if it's worth it maybe see if I can talk them into a local pickup deal or something. It just seemed kind of random, though, that there's somebody selling mass amounts of mining equipment near me in somewhat rural Ohio. I'll let you know once I get it setup, I was hoping to setup at least a few in an extra machine I have to help in some competitions.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Nice!

I'm always checking my local CL to see if anyone is off loading any old mining rig setups for cheap. So far, not much luck on the "cheap" part, but even then I've only ever seen maybe 1 every 2 - 3 months pop up.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

I bought one of those output-less miner cards that was supposed to be the equivalent of a 1070, but was not able to get it to work. Probably it was just defective, but I'm afraid to try again.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

While I was on eBay looking at mining gear I came across this power supply for $30 brand new.
powersupply.PNG
I just had to share it :lol: Definitely the sketchest power supply I've come across. The "90 plus gold" is what I found the most humorous.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Oh I think you'll be fine.

/sarcasm

:lol:
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

I just lucked into what I would consider to be a very fair price on a 3080 given the current market. I was the second view on the Anandtech buy/sale/trade post and had money sent within about 15 minutes of them posting it. I'm probably about maxed out on PC/video card spending for awhile unless some $400 2080ti's pop up or something.
biodoc
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by biodoc »

Let us know how the 3080 does on various boinc projects. :) I just checked the GPUGrid forums and they'll need a new app to support the ampere cards. :(
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

biodoc wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:43 am Let us know how the 3080 does on various boinc projects. :) I just checked the GPUGrid forums and they'll need a new app to support the ampere cards. :(
First test: Folding@home is showing 4,756,193 PPD on a project 14908 0x22 WU. I don't really know how to gauge that though since I know F@h switched to Cuda recently so performance went up across the board.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Wrong thread!
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Those are the same commands I use to install BOINC on Linux also haha
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

So I just picked up a used 1080ti for $350. Seems like a decent value.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

I'm hoping 2080ti GPUs drop that low after AMD releases their new GPUs.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Yeah, I think I had an itchy trigger finger.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

$350 for a 1080ti is definitely a good deal. Usually when I see them at that price they are purchased very quickly. For BOINC I think going with cards that are not new releases is probably the move. So far the refurb 2080ti I had bought on the cheap was a way better purchase than the RTX 3080 since it actually works with everything. I mean, the 3080 kills it on some projects, but flat out doesn't work with others for the time being. If that was the 1080ti that was on Hardforum I had saw that and thought 'man, that's a solid deal' but didn't move on it since I've been buying too much PC stuff lately. I would love to pick up some 2080ti's at $350 but I'd be surprised if we see them that low in the next couple years.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

@Icecold, yes, I bought it on the [H] forum. Seller seems legit, he was very responsive and has some other Nvidia 10 series cards as well. I'm needing to move up from 1070-level performance though as I have power constraints now. What I'd like to see are cards like 2070 Super and 2080 come down to reasonable levels, but that will probably be next year.
Icecold
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by Icecold »

Skillz wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:10 pm I'm trying to win a few of those 1060 "mining only, no video output" cards myself. let me know how well they do. I'm trying to build a rig with 8 of them.
I finally had a chance to get it setup tonight. So far - I'm pretty impressed. I paid $54 including tax and shipping. I have it currently in an Ivy Bridge i5 system running Windows, so not at all an ideal situation and I'm getting 417,000 PPD in Folidng@home. GPU-z shows it using around 70 watts, and it seems to be running very cool. It just uses a single 6 pin power connector so it would be very easy to shove in a spare PC with a low end power supply. I'll try SRBase in the morning and see how it does on that.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Please do all of the GPU BOINC projects. I'm gonna get one myself, soon, but I plan to run it in an x1 slot.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Icecold wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:43 pm
I finally had a chance to get it setup tonight. So far - I'm pretty impressed. I paid $54 including tax and shipping. I have it currently in an Ivy Bridge i5 system running Windows, so not at all an ideal situation and I'm getting 417,000 PPD in Folidng@home. GPU-z shows it using around 70 watts, and it seems to be running very cool. It just uses a single 6 pin power connector so it would be very easy to shove in a spare PC with a low end power supply. I'll try SRBase in the morning and see how it does on that.
Pretty cool! I might have to give these output-less refugees another chance.