Radioactive@home + GQ GMC-300E Geiger Counter

Help with projects and applications, client configuration, system software tweaks.
The pinboard for cheat sheets.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Radioactive@home + GQ GMC-300E Geiger Counter

Post by Skillz »

So I read on the Radioactive@home forums that the GQ GMC-300E Geiger counter can work with the project, you just need to run the app using the anonymous platform.

You can buy the detector here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN ... UTF8&psc=1
($109 USD at the moment)

Download the files needed here: download/radathome/Radioactiveathomegmc-300.zip

The download includes instructions in a PDF on how to get the detector communicating with BOINC. I've only figured out how to get it to work on Windows, but I hope someone can find the Linux binary needed to get this to work on Linux. According to the forums it was developed, but the download link no longer works anymore.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Radioactive@home + GQ GMC-300E Geiger Counter

Post by Skillz »

Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

So the host name/dns bullcrap going on with Radioactive@home is really ticking me off.

Some of my hosts connect to the project fine while others do not. So I setup a DNS server for all them to use and manually entered a value to force that DNS server to resolve radioactiveathome.org to 145.239.234.237

This seems to have fixed the problem. But I do believe the IP at this project has changed recently, so hopefully its not a project that changes IP often as I will be having to remember to change those local DNS servers to use the new IP.

Now that, that is settled.

I ran into another issue. I am using two Dell Optiplex SFF 5050 systems for two of my sensors. However, the project sees this as a single host and it constantly updates the name on the project to which ever host contacted the server last.

So I had to make a cc_config file with an "allow multiple instances" flag on both instances and restart BOINC to make it finally see both systems as two different systems.

This has really been a PITA.

edit
I will point out that although both of those systems are Dell Optiplex's one has an i5 7600 CPU while the other one has an i7-7700T system. Yet it still wanted to claim both systems were the same.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

So, when should I invest in this project? :shock:
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

If you just want points, then now.

If you really want to wait for more accurate readings from your devices then we got to wait on a new app that fixes the problems.

You can enable "testing" mode in your preferences so the inaccurate data collected by this device isn't recorded on the map and you'll still earn credit for the WUs you return.