Forum software updated to latest version

General off-topic, anything goes discussions.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Forum software updated to latest version

Post by Skillz »

Testing some of the features to see what works. Everyone else please feel free to do the same.

I realize the following:
  • All the custom mods/extensions are disabled. I will need to grab versions that are compatible with the latest version as this was a semi major update.
  • Custom themes will also need to be installed for this version as they're not backwards compatible. So no dark theme for now.

Change:
I have added the dark theme to the site now. You can select it in your profile. Prosilver (Dark Edition)
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Test post

Post by Skillz »

I do not see any issues as of yet. The editor buttons all work and everything looks to be formatted correctly. This post is from the quick reply. If it goes though, it works also.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Dark theme installed. Select it in your profile if it's not visible or select the prosilver if you want to return back to the lighter theme.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Whew, I forgot there was even a retina-burning theme! Thanks for all your hard work, Skillz.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Forum software updated to latest version

Post by Skillz »

Thanks
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Looks like I got the rss feed bot back online as well.

It might need to still be kicked every once in a while to get it started again, but that's something Stef has been doing an excellent job at doing. I'm checking for a latest update on it which seems to be posted on a github repo instead of on the actual phpbb site.

Going to give it a try and hope it works better.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Upgraded the feed post bot from 1.0.11 to 1.0.14. Hopefully it doesn't get hung up like the older version did.
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

Skillz wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:16 am Upgraded the feed post bot from 1.0.11 to 1.0.14. Hopefully it doesn't get hung up like the older version did.
W00t! As a test, I re-eanbled the LODA feed which does not respond right now, and the bot does indeed make it through the entire list of feeds now, with just a little delay due to the one unresponsive feed.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

That's some good news then. Hopefully its fixed. Should save you a lot of time checking it so often.
crashtech
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by crashtech »

Dear Diary,

Today Stefan said "W00t!"
My faith and love for humanity has increased. :D
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Got the post reactions back on as well. Didn't even need to do anything except enable it.
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

The feed post bot has been hanging again since yesterday. It didn't make it through the Rosetta feed (but does now). As feeds can fail in multiple ways, perhaps the bot still chokes on some particular failure modes but not all. Or perhaps there is a difference between manual fetch by an admin and automatic fetch in normal user contexts.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

From what I can gather the fetch mechanism is simply a cronjob that issues the fetch command. So I think it's using the same function to run the fetch. The only difference being we push a button to start it while the cronjob is just set to run at intervals checking.

Was really hoping the updated version fixed it. I didn't see a change log for the last 3 versions above our previous version on what was "fixed" or added.

This is what I am using: https://github.com/GerB/feedpostbot
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

I'm reaching out to the author of the extension. See if he has any ideas on what we can do to make this more automated. I was reading around and their is a way to manually set a cronjob on the host to trigger the fetch instead of using the built in PhpBB cron scheduler. I've asked him about it and will wait to see what he says. If that'll fix the problem, then I'll see what the cronjob actually has to do and write one up to issue it.

Edit
He told me what lines to comment out to prevent it from doing that but warned against possible double posts happening. After I get home from work I'm going to give it a test run and see if it does double post.
StefanR5R
TAAT Member
Reactions:

Post by StefanR5R »

When it was stuck, and I 'unstuck' it and triggered a run, that run often created several news posts which we already had. (And I used to delete those one by one then.)
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Oh I didn't know that was a thing.
Skillz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Skillz »

Seems the PMs on the site were not functional. Got a error 500 when trying to visit the PM page. This has been solved.